We are embarking on a Capital Campaign to raise $1,286,000,
to complete the renovations necessary to keep Wonderwell open,
so we can continue to offer a place of peace and refuge
for generations to come.
This September marks Wonderwell Mountain Refuge’s fifth year as a beloved retreat center dedicated to the transmission of the Buddha’s teachings in the West. Never did we dream in September of 2011, that we would, in 2016, envision our beloved center into the next 100 years, as we embrace the exquisite challenge of bringing our historic 1911 retreat center into code compliance of the 21st century.
As a hundred-year-old building, Wonderwell’s current challenge is to come into full code compliance for fire and food safety as prescribed by the state of New Hampshire. Once the renovations these codes require are complete, Wonderwell will provide a durable and safe sanctuary for Natural Dharma Fellowship’s community and the greater public for the next hundred years.
The mandatory requirements for compliance entail accomplishing three principal goals:
- Adapting rooms to accord with the guidelines of the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- Securing the building with major fire and safety improvements which include the installation of a building-wide sprinkler system, fire walls and doors, and new means of egress from all three floors.
- Meeting fire and food safety codes for a commercial kitchen.
Beyond a checklist
While reaching these goals constitutes the core of the challenge, responsible stewardship of Wonderwell for the long-term requires extending beyond a checklist. As the stewards of a historic treasure well worth preserving, we hope to include the vision of Wonderwell as a budding home for the Buddha’s teachings in the West as a motivating force for growth and development. As Wonderwell grows, so too must its capacity, efficiency, and comfort.
As such, the challenge extends beyond complying with state law to include seeking to fulfill the highest standards of ecological responsibility while retaining the historic character of the building, improving the integrity of the space, and expanding capacity for staff and guests.
Safer, more comfortable, more inclusive
As a result of this effort, Wonderwell will be safer, more comfortable, and more inclusive than ever, thereby better reflecting the ethical values that Natural Dharma Fellowship aspires to embody every day. With handicapped accessibility, everyone will have the opportunity to retreat with us. With fire and food safety measures in place, the building will better protect and honor life. With increased energy efficiency, Wonderwell will more completely embody care for the planet. With these as our goals, the challenge faced is not daunting: it is exciting.
An excellent team
As the contours of this challenge came into view, Natural Dharma Fellowship formed a Project Management Committee (PMC), and hired Project Manager, Michael Bruss of Bruss Construction. In partnership with Coldham & Hartman Architects and Milestone Engineering & Construction, and in conversation with the Fire Marshal for the State of New Hampshire, the PMC settled on a multi-year construction plan to gradually bring Wonderwell into compliance with state code, while simultaneously meeting its needs as a retreat center.
Buddhists love to do things in threes:
Wonderwell’s building project has likewise organically organized itself into a Three-Phased Plan. This plan mirrors our values of inclusion, safety and community.
Phase 1: Accessibility (Inclusion)
Due to the generosity of our community, Phase 1 was completed in 2016.
- Fire safety code compliance
- Two new egresses
- Temporary commercial kitchen upgrades
- Insulation to attic and basement
Phase 2: Fire Safety (Safety)
Timeline: Spring 2017
Phase 2 of the building project will focus on:
- Full-building sprinkler system
- Temporary stair tower, restoring third floor usage
- Upgrades to fire alarm system
- Parking lot, footpath, lighting
Phase 3: New Kitchen (Community)
Timeline: Spring 2018
Phase 3 of the building project will include:
- Fully code-compliant kitchen
- Stair tower leading to the third floor
- First floor accessible suite and bathroom
- Additional guest room
- Staff offices and bookstore.
Overview of Project Cost
Current Goal: $1,286,000 (Phases 2 and 3)
|Phase 3||Incomplete||+ 1,030,000|
|Total for Project||2,561,000|
|Previously Raised||– 1,275,000|
|To Meet Our Goal||$1,286,000|
A complete description of what has been accomplished to date (Phase 1), and what is planned (Phases 2 and 3), can be viewed here.
The Jewel of Generosity
The first quality that a bodhisattva—a compassionate spiritual person—works to perfect is generosity. The practice of generosity (Dana-paramita) not only produces merit, but can actually guide us to perfect peace, wisdom and freedom.
With Dana-paramita as our guide, we enthusiastically enter into this next stage of fundraising and development. We need the help of Wonderwell’s extended network of friends and community. Joining in this practice of generosity is a powerful way of investing in the vision of a more peaceful and compassionate world for future generations.
Here are some ways you can give:
- Make a one-time donation here.
- Make a re-occuring monthly donation.
- Make three to five-year pledge. Click here to download a donation form
- Make a one-time donation by check (helping us avoid PayPal transaction fees on large donations to make every penny count). Make checks out to:Natural Dharma Fellowship
c/o Phil Malloy
11 Blueberry Hill Rd.
Andover, MA 01810
5. Other kinds of giving including loans. Contact Phil Malloy at: firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
In addition, you can help out by assisting in other ways:
- Become a dues-paying member of Natural Dharma Fellowship (membership dues help support Wonderwell’s projects, and give you a discount on solo retreats at Wonderwell). Become a member here.
- Join our mailing list. We will send monthly updates on the progress of the renovations. Even if you cannot give, you can help us spread the word.
- Keep your eye on the schedule for upcoming Wonderwell Benefit Events. We will be hosting some events to raise money for the Wonderwell: The Next 100 Years.
Your gift is truly and deeply appreciated. Every single gift, large or small, makes a difference. By contributing to a legacy that is spiritually shared, deeply meaningful, and which connects us all in creating profound goodness in the world, you participate in extending these benefits to all who come our way.